Oct 3, 2009

Why/How Dick changed

Dick was ragged. After something happened, he became not ragged any more, and just changed his whole life. We can say he was lucky because he met a good opportunity; or we can say he improved his life by himself because he grasped that opportunity.

On the other hand, Dick was absolutely nice guy. As the writer described in paragraph 10, “His determination was formed before he heard the liberal offer made by the boy’s father.” Dick jumped into the water to rescue the boy, not for the offer. There are still a lot of people who were unmoved when a child fell into the water but energetic after the parent made the label offer.

Be honest, if I was also there with Dick, I must be hesitated. As usual, everybody does something after think about himself. So was I. If I try to rescue the boy, I might be neither able to save him nor myself. It wasn’t worth for sacrificing another life. All I could do was asking for help. I am not ashamed for my think about this because I can’t swim. Jumping into the water blindly is not wise choice for me.

Generally speaking, I admire Dick for his brave and kind heart. And also I think Mr. Rockwell is a reliable gentleman.


4 comments:

Leslie said...

Yeah, as usual, everybody does something after think about himself. But don’t demand a reasonable amount of dividends before you will help others, your effort will pay off one day.

Junjie Ruan

Jing Yan said...

next time, you'd better do some good deeds with me, you dont know how to swim, but i know~

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

I agree with you that Dick is brave and kind-hearted, the job is an amazing reward for his bravery.
Yi Feng Wang