Oct 16, 2009

Interesting Title (Thanh Tran-Terry)

The title is really interesting to me before I read this article because I think it has some deep meanings when author chose this title. After I finish reading the article, I understand the true meaning of its. It is about Afghan’s traditional culture. In that old culture, women can’t choose their husband by themselves like they choose clothes. It depends on their parents to choose for them. Although, in this article, these Afghan are living in a very modern country, America, they keep their traditional culture. They have been living in Flushing New York for many years, I can’t believe that the old culture still happens. Moreover, women don’t their right to go to school. They have to be at home with housework. That’s the reason for their low education. They can’t struggle for their freedom because traditional culture is something attached deep in their mind. Afghan women are at home, beaten by their husbands, no education, I wonder how life of human being could be. It is truly miserable. I have heard the same story about old tradition in my country. They are some tribes that women have no choice. Women can get married at very early age like thirteen years old. The story and the article really touch my feeling. I feel sympathy with these women. I want that lives will change for them in the future. I remember when I was young, thirteen years old, my father told me “when you get married, I will choose a wife for you”. I did not care what he told me at that time but when I have been grown up, I realized that it will be a big problem for me if he does that. I came and talked to him that I want to choose my wife by myself. Thank god, he has changed his mind and accepted it.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

it's free to choose what we like or dont like. sometimes, we are lucky born in such good society. dan lu

Leslie said...

I hope that lives will change for them in the future, and also hope that they will have freedom oneday.
(Yalin Hsiao)

Terry said...

I agree with you guys, I hope one day, these women will find their true freedom. Feeling lucky that we are living in a society which we can choose whatever we want.