Oct 18, 2009

choosing clothes, but not husbands (heejin kim)

The article "choosing clothes, but not husbands" is story about Afghanistan traditional culture.
Afghanistan women have no right to choose their husbands by themselves, parents choose their son-in-law. They do not go to the school for their studying, and most of them are at home with housework. they seldom work outside home. However, they do not struggle with this old tradition, just they adapt their circumstances. When I read this article, I thought it is horrible and I couldn't understand Afghanistan women's lifestyle, but after I became to understand their tradition. In this world, there are lots of countries and they have own tradition, value and culture. If they feel bad for their culture, they might struggle with that, but they do not at all. It means they are fine and they accept their environment. So we cannot say it is bad culture, it should be abolished.. something like that. We should look at this culture in their point of view. Of course, if this kind of situation happen to me, I might not be adapt and blame my parents for it because I've adapted Korean culture. :)

No comments: