Oct 18, 2009

Choosing clothes, but not husbands

At the first time when I saw this topic it reminds me a song from Katy Perry “Hot and Cold” It is a great song which is saying about how males do with girls, “you change your mind like a girl change her cloth.” This article is talking about the Afghan women with their marriage. Since they are a little girl there is already something in their heads: “don’t talk with guys, don’t ruin your reputation, everyone will gossip about you.” they are waiting for their parents to pick their spouse so they have never dated with any guys. “I’m very close with my family and that helps me because they want to do what’s best for me.” For sure it is good and helpful to be close with your family, they can always give you suggestions to make a good choice but I do not agree that what parents want the best is what the best we want, or I just do not want a perfect one. “It is not uncommon for girls to be engaged as young as thirteen and be married by sixteen.” I think this is not surprise me before I read this article, because it happened in old China also. Parents want their daughter to be engaged and married as early as possible then do not need to worry about if they cannot find a better husband. It is surprised me because I thought it wouldn’t happens anymore now, but is still happens in Afghan women now. It could be explained why people would married so early before because the medical treatment was not good as now, many people died when they are still young. Now you don’t need to worried about to die because the medical treatment was not good, why still has to force children to be married so early. Both are not good for girls at physiological functions and mentality. “A quarter of Afghan women have never been to school and only half have completed high school.” The early marriage let most women lost the chance to be educated, which could be the reason to force them stay home as a housewife because they can’t find a job without education. “My mother still tells me she can’t look at people because they know her daughter married in this way,” Sultan said. “Sultan wanted to put off having children until she finished college… after three years she and her husband agreed to divorce.” Sultan thought it could work her parents find a husband for her but finally she divorced with her husband. I think choose husband is like choose clothes, you have to find one you liked a lot and it has to be fitted. If your parents choose it for you, it maybe would not fit you. Women need to stand up, choose your husband by yourself.

No comments: