Oct 25, 2008

my parents is never smater than me?(jake yoon)

I strongly disagree with someone who says that their parents are uneducated so im smarter than them.

"Your parents must be very proud of you"
the achievement of desire by Richard Rodriguez

when i was young, if i did something well, always, not sometimes, always they said "your parents must be very proud of you" and i felt very very good.

however, this confused of him, the author. because when he grew older, he realized the lack of his parents' education.

Of course, you can be more highly educated than your parents, but education is not just one thing that someone is better or not. life experience for example, involves education also. you are younger than your parents, so you don't have much life experience than your parents. So you cannot say im smarter than my parents. Even if your parents do not know how to solve the math problems or do not understand science equestions than you, they do know more about how to save money, which is the fast way to deal with people, something like this than you.

For me, i know how to speak english, and i can have conversation with my american friends. but none of my family can do this. so im proud of myself. it doesn't mean that im smarter than my parents or becuase of their lack of english i don't have to learn about anything from them.
i still think that i have a lot of things to learn from my parents.
Truly, I DON'T KNOW.

I've never thought about my parents like that, so i really don't know.
even im getting older, i didn't think about it.

it can also depend on many kinds of people, it can affect differently to people from another country, or different sex, different people who have different thought.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Education is more than schooling

I think we learn knowledge through different sources. Schooling, of course, is the best and fast way to learn, but it is not the only way to be educated. People say society is the best school, though it might teach you both positive and negative lessons. Family is another. Your parents, no matter they are well-educated or poorly-educated, can teach you so much about life, which schooling may not offer.

Therefore, I agree with you that parents are always best teachers, though not in your specific academic fields. You may know more about mathematics, English, economics, or computer science, etc. than them, since you are receiving the newest knowledge in schools, but they learn the newest experience in life, which you will experience much later than them.

I got my PhD in linguistics, so they respect me in this field, but I respect them for their rich life experiences, in which they are more PhD than me.