Oct 19, 2008

Are there right things and wrong things? (Heeyoun Huang)

"I teach my kids that these things are right and these things are wrong period. end of story"


My question for that quote from the cartoon is that "what is the standard for 'right' and 'wrong' things?. I understand parents don't want us to do bad thing. However, how are they figure that out if that is going to hurt ur kids or worth kids?

Sometimes, parents make wrong decision for their children. then how are you going to explain that if it was good thing? Before they taught something, they should talk to their children, talk and explain about it. In korea, there are many parents want their children to learn something that they think it's going to be worth for them, but it is not.
Like that example, they should just talk to children because parents could learn something from kids too.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Parents hope to succeed or someting their children of course. As heeyeon said, However, Many things fall short of our expectations. Parents and children should talk together and held counsel as to what measures they should take.

-YunJu Chung-

Mayur Raniya said...

I totally agree with you Heeyoun Huang. I think parents should have conversation with their children as they grow and discuss why things are right and wrong? I have seen many parents who don't explain their children about the cause and they tell them to follow that and my parents are also one of them. TO support my point, i would like to give you my own example that when i passed my 12th grade, i didn't want to study further though i was a good student but still i wanted to join my father's business because i saw many people who are rich in my town including my father too but many of them didn't go to college. They joined their father's business after their school. So i had this conversation with my father and he scolded me a lot. He was just forcing me to study and was always telling me to get educated but he didn't explain me why education is so much important in someone's life. But i stopped arguing him just followed the way what he showed to me. And now, i can understand the importance of getting educated and i can see the life from different angles and can make out what should i do to be succeed in life.

Leslie said...

We need their guidance, but not follow unconditionally

I always took my parents' guidance as the most important decision, and I found most of them were right and benefited me a lot. Their guidance saved a lot of my time and energy from testing this or that by myself in order to find the right path, though it's still hard to judge whether their guidance is right or wrong. Actually it's really nothing right or wrong.

However, I don't think I was following their guidance unconditionally. Their guidance should be based on logical thinking and my individuality, which I might know clearly at certain age.

Therefore, I am always grateful to my parents for their guidance, though for one moment or two in my life, I am also thinkng what I would be if I didn't follow their guidance.

I don't know, but maybe they know better than me.