Oct 26, 2008

3 things for education (Seungbae Lee)

"The need for imagination, a sense of truth, a feeling of responsibility - these are the three forces which are the very nerve of education."
---Rudolf Steiner

Imagination-- Children need imagination. If children didn't train for imagination, they cannot think more and creatively when they get older. When they became adult, they cannot train for imagination, their imagination rather get shorter.
I think 3 things are important. If I have to choose one, I will choose responsibility first. Responsibility is very important for social life. For example, when I was young, I always messed my room. My father said that I have to clean my own room. I think it is the fundamental responsibility for human.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Your title is 3 things, but you just choose one?

"Imginantion, a sense of truth, a feeling of responsibility", you are absolutely right to point out these three factors for successful education.

Education should cultivate all these three, but I doubt whether present education is organized in the right way to foster them instead of killing them.

For example, imagination, whether our imagination is flourished or withered in our schooling? And a sense of truth? a feeling of responsibility?

I saw a cartoon, in which a man is standing at a crossroad. There is an arrow pointing toward his left, with a sign "Truth", and another arrow pointing to his right, with the word "Success".

Whether it means we cannot keep our sense of truth if we really want to succeed in this society.

I hope I have read more of your opinons.