Feb 8, 2009

Lucy Jiao-listen to your heart

while a ago, when i was 13, i can say i never listen to anyone, not my parents, not my family, not my friends, not my teachers either. it was because of a sudden change three years ago, and the whole three years have shaped me into an understanding person.

i came to the States when i was sixteen; the first school welcomed was a military boarding school. i thought people there were gonna be nice; however, that place could be a concentration camp with a lot of devils. that following year, i was trained to be "aggressive", and i actually started listening to other people.

that summer, i went to new hampshire for summer school. there i met tons of new people; there were two left me most impressions. the first one was a girl from a wealthy family, she talked to me a lot about her little sister, her stepmother, her family's history. the day we left that school, she told me:" Lucy, you are so lucky, you don't actually understand what i have said, but your patient and company have made me a great summer."

the other Asian girl was adopted by a white family, we talked a lot cuz her life was such a fascinating story. we finally bacame lifetime friends, and next summer we are going to the country where she came from and going to find her real family.

so, the next year, i went back to the military school and became a leader of girls' company. i was totally fresh, of course i was frustrated as well. how could i know how to control those devils?! thanks to my mentor, she gave me a lot advice of how to be a good leader, such as listening and setting a role model. i followed what she had told me, and magic did happened. i set myself and my company the best reputation in this military school, and we won the biggest award of the whole year. until now, all my girls want to talk to me by phone or on the internet; just because i was and am a good listener.

last year i went to Shanghai, where i was born and raised; my parents amazingly found out that i am more mature and understanding than three years ago. it was because of all the good time and bad i have been through, that helped me growing up.

being a good listener can not only bring you more friends also suprise. today i look back, i was no longer that aggressive and angry person, i have friends, family, strangers, and whole world. change an attitude towards others, life will show you another utopia.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Good experience~ I have been a good "listener" this time, too! Glade you had been changed...