Dec 17, 2008

Writing for me(Yingshan Hu)

What is writing? Writing is a method which creates thoughts into words by using symbols in your languagel to convey the meaning of what you are trying to say. Admittedly, Writing is very important in my life, as a student, writing is an important part and indispensable.

When I was in primary school, every student began to learn how to write short essay, but actually just wrote some sentences. Because we were pupils at that time, and began to learn writing. When I was in junior high school, senior high school and then I am in college, writing all along very important in my life. Different kinds of essay or paper we need to write, since I was a pupil to a college student, I must write more and more. From just write several simple sentences to now I must write several pages essay, I don’t how many essays and paper already I wrote. It looks like I have a lot of experience for writing, in fact, very student should the same, because we are student, writing is a very important part in our student life. Even though I have many writing experience, but I don’t think I am a good writer, especially when I am writing in English.

English as my second language, I hope to I can use English very well like my mother language – Chinese, no matter speaking or writing, but I must study more hard and then I can do that, I believe I try hard I can. Sometimes, I feel so confused when I writing in English. I try to express something in my mind, but I don’t how to express in English. If let me express in Chinese, I think I can do it easily, but in English, I usually spent long time to consider how to express what I think. On the other hand, vocabulary is an important reason make me feel confused when I writing in English. As a matter of fact, I don’t have enough vocabulary, and I know I depend on dictionary too much, if without dictionary, a lot of words I don’t know how to spell, even though I know which word, l know the meaning and how to speak, but I forget how to spell. I also know there are so many mistakes in my essay include grammar, phrasing, spelling, expression and so on.

I remember when I was still in ESL class; one day, teacher gave us a topic and told us hand in the perfect essay and no mistakes on Monday. So we must go to lab and let another teacher help us correct our essay. Because lab did not open on Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday, so I only go to there on Friday morning. And then, on Thursday, my friend and I wrote this essay all-night. Eventually we finished and after we slept a few hours, we went to lab on Friday morning to let teacher corrected our essay. That was my first time wrote essay all-night and that was also one kinds of my writing experience.

Actually, I like informal writing more than formal writing. I think most of people are the same as me. My favorite style of informal writing is blog posting. I like to write something especial in one day, note down something special happening and my feeling. For example, I will write something in my birthday, special holidays, and hang out with my friends. Anyway, I like to write anything I like and anything I think and my feeling.

But I don’t like academic writing. Academic writing is different from high school; it is harder and need more pages. Like research paper, I am not good at write that, so about research paper, I will feel confused about how to write that. I will want to write clearly, to have an interesting and arguable thesis, to construct paragraphs that are coherent and focused, but it is a litter bit hard for me. I am not good at logical writing and research paper often is a big project and need to write a lot of pages, I am so afraid about that. But academic writing is very important in college, so I must improve my writing skills. Even though I cannot write paper as well as America people, so I must spent more time to improve my writing skills. Do more reading and do more writing are very good ways to improve writing skills.

I think there is no shortcut in writing, faster way is by myself. Writing is very important for me, my life is cannot without writing and writing is necessary. At that time; I hope my writing can as well as America people. I will do my best in my writing, no matter what kinds of writing.

No comments: