Dec 14, 2008

HyunJu Ji: Word and its Cultural Power

This language of outsiders has given us cool.

- Black Talk and Pop Culture

Once I have got a text message from my friend after winter vacation. I think it was January of 2008. She stayed here during the holidays and I came back from my country. Her message was about greetings, however, I could not understand some words from her message, because she used too many “pop words”. She used a lot of “ ’ ” for shorter form of a word and I could feel African-American’s word from it. Even I didn’t know that kind words but I sent back a reply message with full of “ ’ ”. I don’t remember what I wrote maybe it did not make sense to her. I don’t know why I did such a stupid behavior. But, now, I realized why I did like that. It is because of pop culture. Maybe, I didn’t want to be regarded as a old-fashioned person. I definitely wanted to be shown " I am cool". It is funny to remember it but I could experience word and its cultural power.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Avish
well i think, using lot of "'" and writing small form of whole words like instead of "that" using "tht" is a sign of illetratecy. If a person use such words like "tht" then i think that person doesn't know how to spell words. Using the correct whole word doesn't mean that he or she is old fashioned person. Nobody use such small form of words, in their resume when they are applying for job, so it doesn't mean that using small forms of words is a good thing to create a good impression.