Dec 14, 2008

My experience in writing (Bin Ye)

I feel ashamed that this semester is coming to end, but I’m very glad that I have learned a lot. Especially, writing skills is a big part that I have improved in ENG2F class. Besides the useful wiring skills, learning form ENG2f class also let me change and improve the active attitude to writing. Now wring is no longer a burdern and challenge in my college study

I’m an international student comes from Shanghai China, English is my second language. When I was in high school, the English writing that I have learned was so basic, but it’s still difficult for me. I suffered from vocabulary and grammar all the time. I don’t like reciting, reading and writing. Personally I know that these are the reasons make me feel uncomfortable in writing. Because we all know that “practice makes more perfect”, once I hate writing, I will never have the chance to improve it. However, last year I came to America to take university. The environment that I lived in was fully surrounding with English. My life was naturally changed. Every day I what I am speaking and listening is all in English. It seems like environment around me forced me to learn English.

To be honest, I don’t like reading and writing. But in English2F class the reading and writing were assignment, I have to read articles and finish the essays. In fact, I always strongly believe that reading article can fulfill my experience, and I am a person who always curious about unknown world. But, the essay really annoys me when the professor asked for 5to7-page essay, I never wrote so many pages paper before and I don’t know what I should to write to satisfy professor’s requirement. I always look at the screen of my laptop and the new page of Microsoft word, and I did nothing in a long time. Finally, I remembered that professor said the outline of the essay is very significant. Then, I wrote the outline and began to write according to the outline. It is amazed that I finished the 6-page paper and the feeling of achievement made me excited. After several essays, I think the feeling of achievement was stronger than suffering. No matter what grade I received, it made me proud. Especially, in Eng2F class I did the first research paper in my life and suffered whole two nights. Though I didn’t get a very good grade, I really found that my writing has been improved a lot. Also, I realized that the skill of the writing can be one of the most important skills in the university, which will be tightly connected with my academic course.

Everything I learned this semester will be part of my life. For example, I found that outline is very important process of any articles. A complete structure of the outline can proved to be a good article. Personally, I usually spend 30 minutes to think about how to make a good outline before I begin to write. In my opinion, outline plays a main role in essay. What impressed me best is that I can finish the essay efficiently with a well-organized outline. Especially, the topic and the statement made in outline remind me what I have to write to support the statement. In a word, outline is really important process of any articles.

Simultaneously, reading is extremely important if people want to write a professional article. I have to read as much as more articles to improve my vocabulary and write skills. I usually copy some beautiful sentences in my own note book. Also, I can learn how the writer uses examples and express their own opinion to support the statement in reading. Something are more practical is that the transition used by writer in articles. This is really helpful for me when I am writing. Transition can make my essay more consistent. Actually, in my opinion, reading is not interesting but it is really helpful. Also reading can enrich my knowledge.

But, why I write? I write for what? In my memory, what I am wiring just for give assignment for finishing the course what professor asked for. But finally, something changed my mind. I just remember the professor Lesiebai said in class: “When you met something really annoy you, but at that time you didn’t or you can’t say anything. Then, you can write. When you met something really delight you, also, you can write.” I thought I can write when I was sad or happy. Therefore, for me I think writing not just an assignment I have to finish after class, I also can write something I want to complain or something I delight me.

No matter what kind of grade I will receive, I still feel satisfied with my hard working, and I really learned a lot in this class. Even I feel that writing is no longer my barrier that obstacles me as before. In the future, if I meet tough barrier in my lifetime, I will not dare to experience that, because I know escaping from difficulty will never let me learn and be perfect.

No comments: