Dec 15, 2008

The Final:Writing is a Mixed Piece of Music-Quincy Shen

For me, writing is a kind of mixed music. The prelude is always soft, slow and concise, as forewords in writings. The body of writings combines many pieces of complex, undulate and explicit music, such as light music, country music, rock music and soul music. In the body part, you can insert the climax part, and reduplicate it, or just put it into the ending. Some pieces of music have the same endings as their preludes; listeners would feel relaxing and mitigating after deeply throb from the culminating point. Melodies, sounds and tones may change a lot, but the purpose will never change.

Why I say it is a piece of music? Not a whole? Because I can never know what the exactly number of words I would write into my writings. The prerequisite is that, I really want to write, instead of pooling words together in order to reach the goal. Unfortunately, this harmful tendency happened several times when I completely have no inspirations about what I should write, and have no or just a little interested on the topics which were given and were required for promoting our higher writing techniques and skills. Therefore, in the process of writing, I was annoying and tired; but then, especially when I finished it, I felt happiness of achievement.

For international students who have learnt ESL and English 1F, English 2F was extremely a big step. To be honest, it was the first time I wrote a full, formal research paper; I was totally crumble down at that moment, and innocent hoped not to suffer it again, not only because the restricted universal topic. However, the main point is, I need to spend a lot of time on it, to search and read a lot; besides, I had no idea and no orientation. The reason caused my low grades in writing parts was the limitations of English words and experiences. Lots of grammar mistakes and many inappropriate words negatively influenced my writings; nevertheless, English 2F was a godsend chance that definitely provided some useful and necessary skills for my further working and learning in modern society. There is no doubt that companies and enterprises prefer to employ people who are confidence, patient, creative, and with good reasoning and have clear thoughts. All of above advantages can be promoted by learning and practice.

It was hard to write an acceptable article. It was also hard to create a perfect music that can be accepted by different kinds of people who have different tastes. Every article required in English 2F class has limitations of English words, grammars, numbers of words, articles and formal styles; they restricted my originally plentiful imaginations. Besides, other impacts such as the clamorous environments, other assignments and depressed emotions will cause negative influences on the quantities of writings. Thereby self-control and self-maturity are quite important for people who want to write a good article. If you want to represent an idea, be sure to stand neutral, and to use those ideas which have been proved and been accepted. Not everyone can easily be a significant individuality, to rage in the world full of controversies and competitions, and finally success.

After have recognized so many styles of writing, I preferred fiction. I even never wrote fictions in my writing classes, just because I prefer the relaxing and enjoyment produced from imagination. Journal writing is not so hard, it helps me to remember things happened and things I need to do in the future. Blog posting improves my abilities to read, to understand and punctual. Essay is the most common writing I did, and it let me know how to use correct grammars. Research paper teaches me the most, besides the skills I learnt from other styles, it also teaches me the formal format, the clear presentation and the proper way to decide and support ideas. Argumentation practices my thoughts’ flexibilities and diversifications. Unexpectedly, there still have some abilities I might need to learnt, such as using proper way to translate ancient writings into accurate English words, or other formal forms of writings. However, I have already learnt all the possible skills and important things I need so far from classes.

Writing is a specific art since it has several styles; and it is a science as you would use different techniques and skills. By far, my purpose was to be a good writer, as the emotion was sublimated, and the patience was trained; the necessary things needed to be a good writer were still concealed from me. In other words, things like to write a lot, to read a lot, and to be specific are all necessary to be a good writer; we knew them did not mean we could achieve. Otherwise, besides the talent, based on experiences from good writers, expending vocabulary; using good grammar; planning and being well-informed are all necessary things to be a good writer. And the most important thing international student should concentrate on is to practice.

My hearts vibrated to the charming piece of music’s stirring melodies; a good writing should like this, which can penetrate into my spirit, and can leave deep impressions on us. More than one year’s learning and practicing, I paid a lot, but I received more. Maybe I will not learn such kind of English classes again; anyway, things I learnt will be frequently used in my further studying. Thereby, what is the following unfinished melody of this mixed piece of music? Just leave it to me, because there is no ending for writing.

No comments: