Dec 19, 2008

How difficult writing --- Bang, Hyung Soo

Writing is another way to express their thinking, emotion and opinion. Sometimes people prefer writing to express what they want to say as a substitute speaking even though speaking is easier to express than writing. All the writing forms have their own way such as from informal writing to formal writing. Informal writing does not need a mode such as a journal and a letter but formal writing has to need a mode such as an essay, a resume any report in a company. Lots of student does not want to write formal writing especially an essay which affect their grade. Especially, writing is difficult for international student because English is their second or third language and if they are not good in English, they usually translate more than one times in their brain. I also do like that when I write or speak something in English.
Actually, when I first came here, New York, I did not speak English so I could not eat anything for two days from first day in New York.
My first writing was an assignment when I went to language school in Manhattan. Of course, I have written essays when I was in university in Korea but it was my first writing in English, my assignment, may possibly first in my life. The topic was about who am I and I have spent three days for the writing even though It was simple and short writing. At that time, I had a lot of ideas for the writing but I did not know how to translate to English. I discovered my own way to write in English what it was firstly write down on a paper in Korean and then translate to English with dictionary. I had no idea how foolish that was. My language school teacher did not accept my writing and the reason was my writing was sounds little awkward. After that happened I started tutor and have changed writing way and style.
Actually, I do not like to write something. I prefer speaking to writing even though in Korean. Especially, academic writing is always killing me whenever I have an essay assignment. I know how important is in university. I never ever forget my first experience to write an essay in my life. I had any idea about an essay such as how to write an essay and what modes I should use for an essay. My first essay was 3 years ago in a private academy for the toefl in Manhattan. I had to write a short essay for an assignment and I wrote it informally and I thought it was going to be best of best in my class but my expectation was totally wrong. I did not understand what is wrong with my essay and I went to the teacher and asked why my essay was bad. The teacher said that I had to write based on a mode. I knew at that time how to write an essay and an essay should write based on introduction, body and conclusion. Also introduction should include what is going to be in body paragraph and body should include more than three sections of paragraph and last paragraph, conclusion, should rewrite the introduction with different letters.
I really wanted to write very well and I did my best to improve my writing skills. I decided to read books every day for my writing skills so I bought a novel, Sherlock Holmes, firstly but I totally did not understand what it was about. I disappointed that and I decided to start reading with easy books. I bought a book for children and I enjoyed reading with that. After read all the book, I always went to a book store to buy a book and I bought more difficult one than before I read such as step by step. I have also written journal every day for a year. At first time to write journal, it was difficult for me. I wanted to write a lot but I could not write all things what I wanted and used simple letters and sentences. At firstly, I pushed myself very hardly and suffered from an obsession. However those things gave me just lots of stress and were not helpful for me. These days, I still write journal every day.
I am sure I will never satisfy with my writing skills because greed gives me bigger and more greed. However, I am not going to stop to improve my writing skills. Even though I have tried very hardly, writing is still difficult and I feel overwhelmed by writing. Even if I am in writing coma, I will never forget and do my best.

No comments: