Dec 14, 2008

What i did this semester? (Avish)


My major is business administration. In this major, there are many different courses I have to learn. In my third semester at Long Island University C.W.Post, I took five courses. English 2F is one of the courses of these five. In this course assignment are given regularly to all students. All assignments are of writing essays and the research paper. To write those essays and research paper, all students need to search relative articles to the topic and to read read and read, to fill out the numbers of sheets of paper in Microsoft word. In this semester I wrote two essays of 6 to 8 pages and one research paper of 12 pages. Whatever I did in this class, I had never done before in my life. I had written many essays, but none of them, is not longer than 3 or 4 pages. After working on all the essays this semester, I learned many things.
On the very first day of the class, when the professor Dr. leslie bai gave the class index paper and explained that all students will need to write two, 5 pages long essays and one, 8 pages long research paper, I was gone mad and I was thinking that how I will write this many long papers. Trust me I had never written this much long papers before. In the beginning of this semester I was thinking that it’s going to be very difficult for me and I will not pass this class. I was really got too much tension because besides writing those essays, students were also needed to post their blogs on internet every week, after reading given articles. I was thinking “how am I gonna write number of sheets of paper in this semester.” At that time I was Zero in my mind to write and read papers.
After 1 week, first big assignment to write essay of 6 pages was given. The requirement of that essay was also to use visual text in the essay, which I had not even seen before. When I started to work on that essay, I open Microsoft word new BLANK page to fill it out with HUNDRED of words. At that time, the first problem strokes that “HOW TO START THE ESSAY AND WHAT TO WRITE???” I was not getting any idea to put in the paper and I got confused. So I open internet explorer and search for the materials related to my essay’s topic and read different articles for the whole day and at night I started to write essay, but still it was difficult for me to begin the essay. For that essay to get good beginning I changed first paragraph more than three times. I took more than five days to finish that essay and however I fill out 7 pages. I worked hard on the first essay and after I finished first essay, trust me I was feeling very happy that I did it. I worked hard on first essay, so I was hoping that I will get “A” grade. But when result came I was got “B” grade. At that time I was little bit disappointed with my grade, not with professor’s grading. I was feeling that I did less afford and so I got “B” grade. However I encourage myself by thinking that there are two more essay and I will get “A” in both essay.
When second essay assigned to write, I was quite confident for that essay. I was again stroked with the same problem, that “HOW TO START THE ESSAY AND WHAT TO WRITE???” But this time, I manage it in good way and I give a good beginning to my essay. After I got comments on my first essay, I knew all my mistakes that I should not commit in second essay and I did it. For the second essay I worked hard on reading and organizing the ideas in proper way. As I worked hard for second essay, it showed up in my essay’s grades and I got “A-“. I was hoping “A” grade but I just got 1 step back of “A”.
Later on, the final research paper was assigned to all students. We were working step wise for the research paper, as the professor teach us. Because this was the first time all students were going to write research paper. I was quite nervous for this task. But this time I knew more about writing skill and as well as I was confident. All students prepare for research paper step wise, as the professor inform. So everyone prepared their outline before they start writing research paper. Because of outline it became very easy for me to start research paper and also to organize the research paper. The only problem I got for the research paper was to find the related information and to read it and understand it. However even I didn’t got more problem, I work very hard on research paper. I spend continuous 3 day without getting out of home to make my research paper perfect. Plus, I spend more time to find articles, preparing outlines, surveying, etc. When I finished the research paper, I realized that, in the beginning of semester I was thinking that I will not learn anything in English 2F class and I was thinking to switch it. However, I didn’t switch it and continued. But, after I wrote 2 BIG essays and FIRST research paper of my life, I feel that I was wrong. I would never learn all those things which I learn this semester, if I would have switched English 2F class. Let’s go back to research paper, after I worked hard on research paper and submitted; when the result came I was got “A” grade.
While working on two essays and a research paper, I learned many things like:
• How to prepare outline.
• How to use visual text (Images) in the essay.
• How to implement other’s articles ideas in own writing.
• How to prepare bibliography.
• Improved vocabulary.
• Improved reading skills.
• Became capable to write more than 10 pages.
• Came to know about library’s databases and learn how to use it.
• Learn about North Asian people.
• How to write sentences in essays. (How to join two sentences and how and where to write supportive statements.)
• After working on 2 essays about differences of culture and religions, came to know about many things, which are happening and existed before around me.
• Learn a lot about a marital life of a man and a woman, after writing research paper that might become useful to me in future.
Besides all this, I came to know about the competition in which I can take part, hoping to win, because that competition includes international student as competitor, whom I can compared my English skills. This competition gives a chance to the students to prove their writings. Lastly I have received many skills and guidance to improve my writing, which is going to be very useful, not only in completion of my major but also in my professional life.

No comments: