Dec 17, 2008

Soojin Park

Find your own style !

There is a variety of languages in the world and the languages have differentiated. Among a lot of languages, English is one of the most well-known languages. As much that English is really close to people. I have learning English until now from when I was young, but it is still complicated to me. Writing is my weaknesses point it because I didn’t have my own writing style now I think.

What is style and how do you acquire it? We all have a natural style. Style is simply the way in which you put words together when you are writing. It is a reflection of your speaking and thinking habits. Some people write in short staccato sentences, sometimes even without using verbs. I believe style can mirror your personality, e.g. serious, brusque, friendly, chatty... and so on. In some ways, people can write differently to the way they speak. I am not really talkative person but I try to use plenty of words in my writing! Good style is essential in any writing. You won't get published without good style. It means writing with clarity and precision. Writing is a craft which needs to be learned and practiced, so be self critical.

I want to discuss the topic that involved my work experiences. It is about this English 2 f course. There are a lot of things that I realized from this course. I am sure that I realized my writing style in this class. As you know, we wrote 3 essays until now.

At the beginning of class, I wrote the first essay about gender discrimination with visual-verbal. Through the first job, I was learning how I use the visual-verbal text in the essay. In addition, the first job makes me think more critically. Also, I used an example related the topic that is movie “Philadelphia,” I think it was really good idea to write first essay because I was possible to write more easily and I could more focus on the gender discrimination. I really can establish my style in this writing

Second job was that I wrote about gender expectation. I was able to writing with more confidence because I was also becoming more confident with my thinking skills. Through the second writing, I understood that a complicated interaction exists between perceptions and perspectives. I also used an example related the topic that is movie “Billy Eliot,” it was not until using movie case that I realized one of my favorite writing styles. I can enjoy the writing with my style for the first time.

Style is very individual; it is your own style and is yours alone- your unique personality "shining through." Style may be simple, formal, and even utilize slang, or be more complex with long sentences, sub-clauses and paragraphs; but it should never lose its essential clarity. The essence of good style, I believe, is simplicity.

I think that you can just find your "natural style" by writing as you Speak - as practice writing in your "natural style" breeds confidence. I hope this essay may be helpful to you in learning more about your own "natural style."

No comments: