Dec 17, 2008

Seungho Lee

Seungho Lee
ENG 2F
Prof. Leslie Bai
17/12/08

The Writing of Marketing

When I had studied economics and business at university in Korea, I was belonging to a marketing society in the university. In the marketing society, I studied the marketing for survey, power-point, presentation, and some principals. Especially, the presentation inspired me because I need to make short and strong sentences in the presentation. Those sentences are also a kind of writing and those things are what I was good at.

Moreover, one of my professors always mentioned about several basic rules which the marketing writers should follow. I agreed with his thoughts strongly, so whenever I had a chance to write a marketing text or to present a presentation, I tried to do that. After few years later, I read the article about book’s review which is similar to my previous professor’s lecture.

At the first presentation, I wanted to make that audiences concentrated in my presentation. There are lots of materials in the marketing sentences such as headline, photos, and middle subject. However, the most important thing to persuade readers is the first sentence. So, I considered the first sentence as the most important thing in my presentation. If the audiences read the first sentence of the presentation, the presentation is more used to be successful.

Nevertheless, the only purpose of the first sentence is making audiences to read the next sentence. If the audiences read the first sentence of the presentation, their eyesight goes down to the next sentence. They want to know what the speaker wants to talking about. Therefore, speakers need to attract the audiences to read the next sentence. The professor of the marketing society taught that the more speakers follow this rule, the more successful result will occur. Hence, the speakers should attract the audiences from the first few sentences.

For the next, when I prepared the first presentation, I introduced many features of the product to the audiences. However, the audiences less concentrated on my presentation and they could not recognize about the product neither. Also my professor pointed out my problem and advised to introduce the features about three to four.

After that, I had to think about the stream of the presentation. Although each of the features is different, all of them are in a same concept of the product. Besides, I had to make the audiences to concentrate the whole presentation like slides. If there is not the same concept, the audiences may confuse about the product. So the features of the product should be unified in the concept. Also, the speaker of the presentation present to audiences about the concept in very brief but strong words.

Even though the concept is important thing in the presentation, the speaker should explain more about that to persuade audiences. I think the function of the product concept is only occur interests of audiences however, the concept cannot make the audiences to buy the product. Another important element to make audiences to buy the product is contents. And the contents can contain many kinds of information as the evidence. For instance, statistic research, table, and opinion of experts can be a part of the contents.

When I prepared the first presentation, I had several researches to fill the contents, and to make my audiences to buy the product. I went to the region near the big city and asked to people about marketing research of electronic products. Also, I visited the electronic engineering professor to get his opinion.

As I mentioned above, I experienced a lot about marketing presentation and writing from the marketing society in the university. I made lots of mistakes however, those mistakes made me to write and speak more effectively. Because the main purpose of the marketing presentation or writing is to persuade audiences to buy the product, the presentation has to be honest to audience but also attract them. Also, marketing presentation is not only the method to sell the product, but it can also build up the relationship between the marketer and consumer.

No comments: