Sep 20, 2008

your fear make me in danger (by Xiaoshu Zhu)

“Where fear and weapons meet-and they often do in urban America-there is always the possibility of death.”

Recently, people always talk about something about racism and discrimination. I am confused that who the real victim is when racism happened. The writer, who is a black man, was treated differently by others. He gave us very deep opinion about what black people’s common feelings when they are raced by others. “My first victim……” I was shocked by the first sentence of the article “Black Man and Public Space.” The writer used a kind of irony to show his despair about the reality that he was raced, but he was powerless to change the situation. However, racism seems to be like a kind of disease and it never heals. For racism, white people hurt black people, and black people to hurt back white people for revenge, the relationship of them let me think that who the real victim is and who should to bear the bad result. This is a negative cycle that makes the society developed slowly. From the other side of this situation, did any people ever think of what black people’s feelings are? They also have something they are scared, even though they look strong enough. The injury on spirit is much painful than that on the body. People who always get hurt, they will find ways to protect themselves. Just like the writer said that when people were too feared, we couldn’t image how terrible things they would do. I was shocked by the quote above, I never think that black people are worried about people would hurt them just by fear. Actually, this is unfair for the black people, because they can’t have the normal live as the same as the white people have. Anyway, if people always judge the thing on its surface, they never know how wonderful the world is.

5 comments:

Jing said...

You really have a good title which is impressed me, its also the reason that caught me to read and give comments. From the article, I feel sorry to the people like the writer. I can't deny that sometimes when I saw a huge strong black person, some strange imags will come to my mind, which is actually incorrect and unfair. every group will appear some people who will do something that hurt others, not just black people will do. then we can figure out that our prejudice have effects on them, which incrediablely let them in danger. we always consider something by standing on own side, which let us forget to think about others. I agree with your opinion about the circle . To my opinion, If we can't stop this circle, human beings will not reach the concept of reaching harmony.

strawberry said...

I think both you and I have noticed the first sentence "my first victim...". When I read this sentence, I will always feel sad and sorry for the author. He never heart the others, however, people regarded him as really bad guy. They thought they were the victims. All these are because the author was a black and huge guy. As you said, people's fear just lead the innocent people into danger! We hope it won't happen any more!
Liu Yang Xue

Leslie said...

Correct~
This is a negative cycle that makes the society developed slowly.I love this sentence in your comment^^.
Sometimes they punch each other,they are supposed to build the country they owned instead of hurt each other's feelings.(Yongfei Gu)

Leslie said...

Great title and logical reasonsing(Leslie)

I agree with Jing that you gave a great title, and I understand it further as "your fear brings me more fear".

This fear loop carries more and more fear to everyone of us, so why not change it into love. Only love can cure these hurts. I still remember the video I uploaded to this blog about "Free Hug". When people are more open to each other and try to hug more, the fear might be driven off little by little.

Language:
This blog is well-composed, except for a few mistakes:
1. who should (to) bear the bad result? (think of a more specific word than the general word "bad");
2. It's great you pointed out the usage of "irony" in the article;
3. "The injury on spirit is much painful than that on the body" (great structure, but change "much" to "more")
4. "when people were too feared, we couldn't image how terrible things they would do" -> we couldn't imagine what terrible things they would do.

Mayur Raniya said...

I totally agree with you people. We should not judge people based on their look but we should judge them by interacting with them. To support my point i would like to give an example of my own. When i came here in USA i got advices from my relatives who live in India. They told me that be aware of those black guys in USA and keep friendship with whites only because black people are bad by nature and they all are drug addicts and they are more related to crime activities. But when i came here and saw people around me i found black people good by their nature and cooperative too. I know that some black people are related to crime activities but i think these kind of people exists in each and every society and country also. I would also give an example of a Korean student who died last year. He was studying in Virginia Tech University and just because of his look, he was harassed many times by other students in the university.In real, he was an intelligent student and good by nature but he was mentally depressed due to those students. Finally they lead him to commit a crime. He went to the university one day with a gun which was fully loaded with bullets and he killed those students and in the end he shot himself and died.