Sep 10, 2008

Comment on "Long Overdue" essay (svetlana)

“But I am always thinking of the times I said nothing.” This quote is clearly reflects the main idea if the “Long Overdue” essay. I think the situations which were described in the essay unfortunately are a very common in today’s life. Often people can’t express their own opinion for number of reasons. They might be too shy to speak out or are afraid of causing a conflict. The main character of the essay could not start the arguments because he was afraid he would not be able to express his own thoughts out loud on polite way. Otherwise thenegative emotions which people hold inside themselves can not only cause mental problems but also cause problems in society. For example situations described in the essay can easily become reasons for the growth of ethnical conflict.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

It seems as if everyone is really impressed by this sentence. But just as I said in the class, if you just take out that sentence without enough context, it doesn't make much sense. Therefore, either you quote a longer passage, or you give a brief introduction to the context, such as what has been going on before that and why the author said so. It will help the readers, especially those who haven't got chance to read the article to understand the author's point and your point easily.

By the way, it is shown from the introduction to the author before the article, the author is a woman, a daughter of an American mother and a Palestinian father. If it's me who was misleading you, I apologize.

I definitely agree with your opinion, and hope the ethnical conflicts will stop here and now, since it's long enough. Any reason is not reason for its existence.

Leslie said...

the writer said that how I feel exactly sometimes. I am also a shy person who deosn't like to tell my opinions in front of many of people. it can be the reason why I don't like argument or afraid of express my thinking which is different from others.. I don't know. (Younghee)