Sep 13, 2008

We are the world

In the past a few decades, robbering, stealing, murdering and other kinds of bad behaviors were done by black, even though some of them were innocent. However, after 911, the people from Middle East have been treated as terrorists. Is it an accurate perspective? Can we determine people by their races?

I laughed out loud when I read "Now you know a little more what it feels like to be a black." (In the article "Long Overdue") It is so funny to hear it from a black. But when I stopped laughing, I thought about this sentense seriously and asked myself "Why do people always use stereotypes on others here in America?" I still don't have the answer. Yet nowadays, everyone has the right to have education, maybe some of the black are more educated, or more disciplinary than we are; therefore, next time when you meet people who are in different races, knowing them before using stereotype on them. i am convenced that you will have different thought of them. Human beings are the same creatures on the earth, we are supposed to be treated equally. We are the world because we are on the same world.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

The world is how we make it

I like the title of your blog post. And I like better your opinion of looking at each person as what he is, not prejudge them with our stereotypes. Actually, I am sure, though no one will admit, that every one of us has some kind of stereotype over something or some people. The only way to try to avoid it is to close our eyes and listen to what our hearts tell us first. That's why the word "colored glasses" appeared. Our eyes cheat us in many cases.

Think back to yourself and tell me what kind of stereotype you used to have or you still have now.

Language Points:
1. robbering --> robbery
2. "knowing them before using stereotype" --> "to know them before ..."
3. convenced --> convinced