Sep 14, 2008

To do or not to( XIAOJING WU)

I was ashamed for my silence….I will never fell better about it.

During the days that I spent here in the U.S., I am always in an awkward position. Known me is a Chinese, some people would ask me something about Tibet or Taiwan. This is a very sensitive political topic. I can only present the standpoint which a Chinese should hold. At the same time, they would list several instances to conflict with mine. Because of my poor English, I do not know how to explain or persuade them, did not say too much. I blamed myself, can not forgive myself from keeping silence.
Discrimination is caused by misunderstanding. What I want to say is that we should not judge things before really understand them or knowing only a part of them. Know it doesn’t mean understand it.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

You don't have right to judge before you know it enough


I can understand your situation very much, since it has been part of my life, too, to debate over those issues. In many cases, I resumed to silence, either, with a sentence "you don't have right to make any judgment before you know something well." Actually, even with good English, it is still a tough issue to talk with American people before they have a full picture of China.

What we should do is not to debate with them, but to tell them more about China, both good and bad.