Sep 11, 2008

Fight or let it go? (by Xiaoshu Zhu)

"My father would say, people like that can't be embarrassed."

In the "long overdue", discrimination suffered her a lot. She was mortified about she didn't say anything back to the anthropologist who had bias about Arab. If she said something, she may change that woman's mind. However, her father said that no matter what she said, that cloudn’t changes anything. In my opinion, I stand for her father's idea. Any extreme thing is not created within a short time. Also, people's thoughts come out for many reasons, and they are hard to break.

I remember that once I saw a piece of news which was about a ex-Canadian diplomatist, he said "Canada don’t need Chinese because that only thirty hundred thousand of Chinese have the ability to buy things, and the rest of them even can’t afford for a bottle of coca." When I saw this, I was a little angry, a little astonishing, and the most was disappointed. Such a high position leader, he must be a well educated person, but he could say something so ignorantly. I want to tell him that China is not like what he imaged, and people always need each other not only we have economic relationship, but also we all share one planet. However, I felt that I was very powerless; the things only I can do just kept silence and continued to do my homework…. Finally, helping each other is always better than slander. Depending on each other is rather than helpless.

Then here should be no fight at all…

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Leslie: Let's keep an optimistic hope

Though I want to agree with you about the father's comments, I still would rather hold an optimistic hopes toward people that everyone has potential to change or to be changed. For that, we should work harder.

As for the people's distorted knowledge of China, especially the China which is developing at an unbelievable speed, it is your responsibility to present a real China to the world with your beautiful worlds, which will also attract more people to have a visit to China and adjuct their knowledge through their own experience and eyes.

Don't you think your writing will serve your country in a more efficient way?

Language problems:
1. Same with Zhou Jing, you used the pronoun "she" without providing first who it refers to.
2. "I was a little astonishing" ===> should be " a little astonished".
3. " he could say something so ignorantly" ==> should be "say something so ignorant".

strawberry said...

Actually, I think yours is quite a good comment. You connected what you read in the eaasy with what you saw yourself. It is a good idea! YES! You are right that sometimes we just want others to know that there's no difference between us. However,we still cannot change anything sometimes. Even though, I think we can still pray and hope the peace among human beings. Don't give up!