Sep 28, 2008

Do you want to live in Brroklyn?-Heekyung.CHO

" After dark, on the warrenlike streets of Broklyn shere I live, I often see women who fear the worst from me." (From BLACK MEN AND PUBLIC SPACE")




When I read this sentence, I feels like i dont want to live in a Brooklyn , because, this sentence gave to me feels scarely. I means that if i was live in Brooklyn , all times at nigh i might be meet some black men really fear the worst. Moreover, If I was meet the black man after dark I also fear the worst from the blackman.So, why they are gave to us feels scarely?I think it might be our feeling and thinking about black men.In the Media, many times they show about vulnerable blackmen's information.for example. rubber, burglars are almost blackmen... things like that.they show a lot of blackman's crucial than others. I think that's why women feels like frightend about black men.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Sorry I forgot my name on it^^;;

Leslie said...

i have the same feeling with you, i know this is unfair to black people because we cannot judge a person on his or her apperence. but let's try our best to change the situation...
(xiaoshu zhu)

Leslie said...

Media misled people (leslie)

Actually, we got the image of black people first through movies, or news, or other media, before we have ever met a real black people.

Therefore, the misleading messages sent by media becomes the root of people's prejudice, and then it also becomes the root of our fear.

It's unfair both to black people and to us.

By the way, the "rubber" kept me think for 5 more seconds before realizing that what you really mean is "robber".