Sep 20, 2008

Our Negro Problem (Yongfei Gu)

Norman Podhoretz in his famed (or infamous) 1963 essay,"My Negro Problem---and Ours,"recalls growing up in terror of black male; they"were tougher than we were, more ruthless,"...
Actually,not only the whites terrify blacks, but also us sometimes.
I admit sometimes I terrify them too. Maybe the color makes me feel uncomfortable or something else,especially in the nighttime. I have a female friend, when she just arrived America,she was to be to be sexually harassed by the blacks. Since then, she becomes as same as the females in the article. She told her American friends (Of course all whites), they just said some cursing words and told her to away from the blacks. What should I say about her Negro Problem?That's a little complex...because sometimes I feel that too.If put you in a group of blacks,what is your feeling?
Definitely,most of them are good guys,they are very glad to help people,they are hard working and optimistic.But there are always some bad guys in a country,here is a rule,if there is a black sheep from a group,after that the group will be very "famous" by the black sheep and people out of the group will think everyone in the group is the same. Obviously,that's not so correct.
Maybe we always talking about the whites treat the blacks as a mugger, but what about us? As I know,most of us have the Nergo Problem too.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Terrify or Terrified (Leslie)

From my understanding, you might mean to say "not only the whites are terrified by blacks, but also we sometimes. I admit sometimes I am terrified by them, too."

As a matter of fact, there are many black people who are bringing harms to other people, though they are not the only group. And in every group of people, there is always people as you called "black sheep".

When it's beyond our ability to distinguish the good from the bad, we tend to discard both. Though we may lose the good, at least we won't get the bad.