Sep 24, 2009

Missing after "Long Overdue"

I am an international student; sometimes I find the distance is really a big problem for me and my family. When I had to face something terrible by myself, I found it was too troublesome to tell my mother what happened to me. I just chose not to tell. Time and again, I had nothing to share with my mother no matter it was happy or vexing. The distance between my mother and me becomes longer and longer. I don’t know whether you have the same problem with me or not. But I am trying to change the situation. I know in the world my family is all I have. It will never abandon me.
Sometimes I just miss my people. I wanted to go back. I really want to tell my family but stones stuck in the throat. After calling my people, I had the same idea that in the “long overdue” by Naomi Shihab Nye “but I am always thinking of the times I said nothing”. I miss my people who I can tell everything to them, and I missed them in some sense. One of my friend left me a message that she wanted me to go back China and she had some problem but nobody could be told. The satire is I can’t go back as everybody can see. And I so much hate it.
Anyway, I hope I can find a way to solve the problem. I miss my people and I am missing them.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Sometimes, i was missing my friend and my family. But i can't tell them what happened in here, because i don't want them to worry about me. Anyway, i am agree with your point. (ying yi)

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

I totally agree with your opinion.
There are so many problem, i need to deal with, since i came NY for studying university.sometimes, i do not know how can i tell my parents what i am thinking about. because of the long distence and i do not want to my parents to worry about me.However, i just know, no matter what happen, my family and my friends are always beside me and supporting me. (Yalin Hsiao)

Leslie said...

I am agree with you, and after long summer holiday which i spent with my family and friends i am not so happy to be in America again. But my first weeks in my homecountry were terrible, i felt like i was just woke up after coma or something like that, i didnt understand what's going on, who's whose new celebrities, actresses, new music, new shops ...everything has been changed without me. Even my room was not the same. When i came into my room i was wondering what a girl used to live here, it was like museum of old me. My mom asked me :do i am happy to be here, at home?? I was lost. And yeah, i said of cause i do, but even i am myself dont know if it was true or lie... I cant say that now america is my home, but i cant say that russia is my home, because i do not live in that country anymore. I dont belong to that culture and life habits anymore. So back to your topic, i dont speak with my parents a lot, and even feel relief when they just sent me mail insted of called me, but i think it is not bad, because you know you love them and they always will be in your heart, but now without their total control and their opinions you can do what you really want and live the way, you think, is right. If you do mistakes it's your own mistakes and you cant blame it on your parents. So if you have problems you can always asked parents what to do, but i think without them you can learn more and be who you are. Natalia Ushak

Leslie said...

I has the same feeling when i was reading your article. Just like you mentioned, when we had problem we tend to not to tell the parents then become nothing to talk with parents. However, after I talked with my friend what happened to me, they all suggested me that i'd better tell my mother what the difficulty i encountered, so that then can help and give me the good suggestion.

Heejin kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heejin kim said...

I have same emotion when I read your article. I think most international students would think like you. I had something problem or happen to my friends and family, I could not call them. If i did, maybe they would have worried about me. (Heejin kim)

Mengqi Zhao said...

To Natalia Ushak
Thx a lot. And I have the same problem that my friend likes a boy and she asked my opinion, acturally I should be there and take a look at that guy and say something but I cant go back, I cant make any judgement. Im just not a part of her life any more. I dont know how could I deal with this stuff. :P