Sep 26, 2009

Feeling the same ( Thanh Tran-Terry)

Before reading the article, I have thought so much about the title “Long overdue”. Could it be something that the author can’t stand for a long time, something really bad, something that really hurts her inside heart. After reading, I have found down what happened to her. As a half Arab person, she felt so angry when people said bad things about Arabian but she couldn’t say anything to them to prove that it was not like what they thought about Arabian. None of any words came out of her mouth. She kept that hurt for a long time and said that it a “Long overdue”. The article made me remember one of my friends who felt the same with her. He is an Indian guy. He is really a nice friendly person. I like talking with him and we often share with each other. One time, he told me “Terry, you know what, some American people said they do not like Indian because our bad smell from food. I felt very angry but I couldn’t say anything because I did not want to make trouble”. A sadness came on his face. He knew that not most of Indians have bad smell. He told me it touched his patriotism. I have thought a lot about what he has said to me. I know that I and him, we are international students. Sometimes we can hear something really bad about our countries but we couldn’t do anything because of making trouble is not good for us. I felt the same with the author that it hurts inside heart. I want to change it from now. I want people to know the truth.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Reading your experience, I sympathize with your opinion and experience. Studying abroad, we often have hard time of it. I think it's not wrong, but it's just a difference. In fact, when I was younger, I had stereotyping about different people. But now, studying abroad, I totally realized that kind of thinking make other people hurt and I also could be judged by some prejudice.
(SooHyeon. Kang)