Nov 3, 2008

To be Gently: Quincy Shen

"They'd correct her gently. My mother laughed girlishly one night, trying not to pronounce sheep as ship."

From "The Achievement of Desire".

I do not know why he mentioned "sheep as ship", maybe "ship" has some bad meanings in America, but I noticed that he used "girlishly", which basically implied his mother is an old woman, and never has some feelings as a young girl. Besides, I think the author was trying to use a more civilized word instead of the original one.

Anyway, I have no opinion about whether he has complaints about his parents' impolite or not; this kind of problem happened everyday.

I saw a boy detest his mother, because she always makes sound like"pa" when she is eating. This boy think it is rough, so he eats food with avoiding his mother. Otherwise, he would chide her mother if her is burping in front of him. Honestly, I have those problems too. Habit, life style or people around parents are all possible reasons for their "vulgar", so try to be strict with yourself ans lenient towards others.

No comments: