May 2, 2010

What Is Writing(Lingli Huang)

What Is Writing
I am not a good narrator speaker. Just like the other members in my family, I am not a good speaker. I am not good at express my feelings, my opinions when I talk to the others. Sometimes, when I want to say some touched words, the words come out in my mind, I know what I want to say, but I just cannot speak it out. The words stop in my mouth my lips. All of the members in my family have that problem. I still remember the first time when I leave China, leave my parents. My parents and sister came to sent me to America in the airport. We seldom talked to each other. They just let me take care of myself and keep safe. The image and words looked not like parents sent their daughter to a country which far away from them and for a long time. But when I arrived in America, and then I called my father, he told me my mom cried in the airport just like a baby when I said goodbye and entered the waiting room. She missed me, but she cannot say it when she faced me.
Compared with community and speak, writing is much easier for me to express my feelings. Writing is a good way for me to express the opinion and feelings which is difficult express through talk. When I write, I feel comfortable and clam in my heart.
We start writing when we are in our own country both in our own language and English. Many international student think write in English is much harder the in their own language, and the most hard problem is that they will think that sentence in their own language and then transfer it to English. Before I came here, I also had that problem. In China, our teacher taught us to write in the same model, and most of the writing were just simple translate. For example, in the exam or exercise, they will give you around ten sentences in Chinese and then let you write a story with these Chinese sentences. So we seldom have chance to express our own opinion. And we became used to translate little by little. When I just start to write here, I still didn’t throw the habit of “translate”. During ESL program, when I began to write, I always think what I should write in Chinese, and then translate them to English. So during that time I still did not feel what is writing. But with the more chance of write and practice, I begin to write in English thought. I throw the step of Chinese translate. And I begin to enjoy the writing. When I write an essay, I just write down what comes out in my mind, maybe there are some grammar mistakes, but I still keep writing, and when I finished the whole essay, I begin to work out the mistakes. These words in my essay come out directly in English and they are the trustiest opinion of mine.
In my mind, writing is the best way to express our feelings.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

As like you, I am also international student. As like you, I also didn't learn writing skills. During ESL program, I recognized I am very poor at writing and I need to study. I competely agree you about order of writing. First, I write essay Korean and then translate to English. But this is not good for us. To be the american, let's think as like american. haha(jaeman. myung)

Leslie said...

That is good idea! I also did same thing like what I just translated to English language from Korean. I need to keep in mind everyday.
(Jee Yun Choi)