May 2, 2010

What is writing? (Jee Yun Choi)

Writing is one of lots of ways to express what I want to say. I think it is not only different style from conversation but also sometimes more meaningful way to announce our feeling to people. The reason is that we can think more than saying through brainstorming and outline. Additionally, sometimes writing is more effective to express out intention. We recognized that thorough trying some kind of essay: persuasive essay, descriptive essay. Writing can acquire more information and credit than saying.
As everyone knows, we all are international students in ENG 2F class. Each person should be good at writing in their first language. However, it is certain that we usually get in trouble because of English as second language for us. That is why there are English composition class for us. Through Eng 2F class in this semester, I learn some helpful things for my college life.
The English 2f course of Prof. Leslie Bai was not too easy, but pretty salutary for me in that I could learn about exact MLA style for college essay, and practice writing enough with Bai’s good advices. Actually, we have been required various things for homework and it was really helpful to improve my reading and writing skills. It is true that I felt annoying to read books and to write journals at the every time, but now I appreciate about that to Professor Bai due to my writing skill improved. She was always kind to answer my questions. Of course, I am pretty sure that she was little bit strict to evaluate the essay, but thanks to this, I could concentrate more on my essay. I also got interests about writing more. It became kind of motivation for me in English class.
My strengths as a writer are that I can always create novel ideas for the essay and I have strong views as well. That’s why my essay is different to other’s one, so it was used to be evaluated well in this point. I also can analyze the detail of text well with various evidences. Actually, my essay was not specific at the first time, but I become changed after Bai’s advice in my essay. The weaknesses of my essay are always grammar errors. I believed my grammar is kind of great before, but I usually got a penalty in this part. I become improved about my grammar in this semester, but I need more to study in American university.
The “research paper” was very impressed for me in this course. It was hardest one, but I learn many things. I have written various writing so far, but it is totally different form from the other one. Actually, I tried research paper of Sociology class last semester for the first time. Fortunately, I received pretty good grade although I did not learn enough about this kind of essay. However, it was very difficult and I spent a lot of time to figure out why I was writing that since I did not have any background knowledge for that. Therefore, learning about research paper in this semester was really helpful for me. We spent ample time to think about a topic and to search source for our essay. It was hard time for us, but I improved my writing skills and learned about one of writing style for college essay. It was also great time to find my weakness for essay out. I am not sure about my grade for this, but I satisfied about my effort. I had a good time with my class mates and Professor Bai in this semester. The semester is going to end. I will do my best until last day of this semester.

2 comments:

Phuong Nguyen said...

I also used to think that my grammar was good. But it's not as good as I thought. There are always problems and we cannot realize until checking by ourselves or someone telling us. I believe that everybody have more or less improved their writing skills through this course.
Good luck on your finals :)

Leslie said...

we have same problem which is bad grammar. but this semester, i learned a lot, even i can teach my girlfriend something about writing. dont warry, we can do it, better and better. (Yilei Zhou)