May 2, 2010

What is Writing ? (Anthimos Michael)

Writing is a way to communicate with each other. When you write, you put your ideas together more carefully than speaking. Because when you speak the ideas in your head is sometimes scrabbled and confusing to express. In contrast when you write, you can focus on what you are trying to say and provide a better answer to the question that you are asked. For me I find writing to be the best way to express my feelings and ideas. From high school when I started to write some small English essays and now in college where I write bigger essays; I found that, the difficulty level change was immerse. I was shocked when I got my first ENG 1F essay corrected, and saw that I had many problems with punctuation and structure. Things that in high school were never corrected by my teachers and therefore I didn’t learn them. I felt a kind of anger for my high school teachers of not correcting my mistakes. I tried to improve my writing to a more academic level. I know I have improved my skills but I know I still have a long way to go.

Through the courses that I take, sometimes when a Professor asks a question and I might know the answer, I don’t answer the question because am afraid of spelling mistakes. However when the question is asked on a paper, I find it easier to answer the question through writing. Writing makes me feel confident about myself. Sometimes international students have to translate English to their first language and vice versa. This makes them look as slow minded and therefore be misjudged. But through writing you can prove them wrong.

Writing is very efficient way to communicate. A very popular quote said by Edward Bulwer underlines the significance of writing. “The pen is mightier than the sword.” The quote meaning is that written material is sometimes more influential than fighting.

Writing is the way to express your opinions about every subject. It’s also a more formal way to communicate with each other if written correctly. For instance, a telephone call to my Professor would be less informal than writing a good e-mail. Also I can’t remember how many times I had to express my feelings through writing as if some things are meant to be expressed through writing.

Sometimes reading other people writings is an awesome experience. Trying to find out how they think and what they mean on every word, it’s a thrill! Because sometimes one word can mean so many things.

I hope that I will continue to write next semester, so I can improve more my writing skills. Writing for me is the way to show other people how I think. Through my experience through ENG1F and ENG2F I developed the necessary skills to write better essays for future projects. Skills like researching databases, citation and not to plagiarize are only some of them. Hopefully i will increase my skills, and provide better essays in the future. Also writing is my way to prove to professors my true strengths about the courses.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey, Anthimos~ how's it going?
I think you have similar opinion about writing to me. I definitely agree with yours. I am glad to meet you in the same class of both ENG1F and 2f. You have made a great job for those course. I feel you have improved a lot for your writing skills. It should be good for you! Good luck for your final test. Keep in touch~
(Jee Yun Choi)

Anthimos said...

Hey Eric!. I will keep in touch.Remember there is the football world cup this summer! We will talk about the matches and our predictions some times. Good luck with your finals. :)

Leslie said...

Wow, wow, dont forget me, we both in 1F 2F. Hope you guys good luck on final. (Yilei Zhou)