Apr 29, 2008

Writing is what I'm used to love and hate

After my registration last Fall semester, I thought my English subject is more on reading comprehension. I was wrong. It focused more on writing skills. I wanted to quit but told myself to hang-in there. I hate doing papers since it was introduced to me in middle school. I hate its demand. To be honest, I would often ask my brothers, sister and father to help me or rather, tell them to do my stuffs. But now, I see a very big difference on past and present situations. If way back in elementary it was “write a paragraph about this, etc“; high school “write a page about whatever“. Now in college, it is an ultimatum “write 3-5 or 8-10 pages". Snap! I am not quite ready for this.
I‘m guessing my personality has something to do with this. I’m the kind of person who has difficulties expressing how I feel or think in writing even in conversations (even with my own language). I seldom share my thoughts and opinions. All I do is listen, analyze and verdict on my own. I don’t have personal blogs ,moreover, diaries! Because I don’t wanna bother myself getting paranoid that someone like my childish siblings stole and read it.
To international students, this writing course is essential. This is a good training on how the real English writing paper is done. The probable problem international students face is clarification, unity and coherence of ideas in paper. All the thoughts are running smoothly in your head but when you have to write or say it, it goes wacky. I think it is normal for anyone not to be able to speak their minds right away. Although there are a lot of difficulties encountered, having this course is indeed helpful. Everyone can apply things tackled or learned on how to write paper and do proper citations. I remember my first paper in Philosophy I got C+. I deserved it because the amount of seriousness I put was not as much effort I gave. I just sat down in front of my computer for hours, searched articles, read it and make the most out of the ideas. The worst is I didn’t even followed the guidelines I learned in English class. In the end I regretted it so badly and lesson learned. On the second paper, I tried to comprehend Plato, Socrates, Mill’s writings and used the proper writing guidelines. Thanks to the guidelines, I was able to justify my paper better and rose my grade to average B. So overall, this writing course is good and effective because it let me explored more vocabularies, grammatical structures and formats. I want to say that it was sort of fun because of the mind challenges it brought me. On the other hand, I would still not deny the fact that writing is not my interest.
Personally, I wanna say a million thanks to my Professor Leslie Bai for everything she taught us. She’s always been kind, patient, generous and understanding. Eventhough she is Korean-Chinese, she treated all students from other countries fairly. She never showed she is just favored to both my Chinese and Korean classmates. I’ve been in her class for a year, what I admire the most is she never humiliated anyone. She did not once opposed or contradicted one‘s opinion. I don’t even remember a time she got pissed! Hands down to her, I would gladly recommend her to my juniors or other international friends who haven’t taken English course yet.
Lastly, I also wanna thank our school for offering an English course for international students (and hiring Prof. Bai! hehe). In this way, all of us can be comfortable with our English subject matter because we have asian teacher ,and also, feel at home even for an hour and 20 mins.

No comments: