Apr 30, 2008

My mighty weapon: writing (By Jihwan Choi)


I think the purpose of writing is expressing my feelings. I think that writing is more accuracy way to express my feeling and idea than speaking. Whenever I have conversation about my feelings with my friends, I often regret after the conversation. “I should not say like that.” “I should not say that word.” “I should say something, but I forgot.”These regrets are always followed after conversation. However, writing reduces my regrets. When I express my feelings using writing such as letter and massage, I can express my feelings well. In speaking, if you say something wrong, it is no use crying after over spilt milk. In writing, however, if you write something wrong, you can change that part. That’s it. You don’t need to regret or cry over spilt milk.
I think that writing course is necessary to international students. I think writing is the most important skill to improve English skill for international students.’ When international students have basic writing skill, they can improve their reading, listening and speaking skill.
If they don’t know how to write ‘apple’, how can they read, listen and speak ‘apple’?
I have learned about expressing my own idea and supporting my own opinion using references. I think that writer should be honest by themselves to be a good writer. If the writer is not honest and try to write something with falsehood, the writing would not be good writing with lack of own feeling and soul. However, it is really hard to express their feelings in English for international students. Therefore, it makes them think about plagiarism. However, I have never tried to use plagiarism. Sometimes, my friends who wrote essay with plagiarism in two or three hours get same grade with me. It makes me get angry, however, I firmly believe that writing by myself would be really helpful work. Plagiarism is the obstacle for international students. “If I do plagiarism, I will be never able to improve my English skill and this writing would not be mine.” When I have hard time with writing essay, I think deeply about that saying.

Actually, I have enjoyed writing something since childhood. I mean I like writing something because I’m not good at speaking to explain something. Even in my native language, I’m very nervous when I speak something. In English, it’s more serious. That’s why I prefer writing to speaking. If I have to choose one among writing and speaking to explain something, I would choose writing. For example, I used to send messages using cell phone instead of calling. Neverthless, it was really hard to write papers in English. I spent more than twelve hours to write each essay1 and essay2. It was really hard time for me with three essays. I passed a night without sleep every due day. Especially, writing research paper was really hard to me. I spent more than 30 hours, but I think I ruined it. I barely finished writing research paper, but I have an unsatisfied feeling with it. However, I firmly believe that writing would be really helpful work. The pleasure of accomplishment is beyond words when I complete writing. I fill my heart with pride whenever I complete essays. So writing is an enjoyable process to me.
My favorite type of writing is writing lyric. I think lyric is soul and pure emotion.
In fact, in my country, I used to write lyric for rap (hip-hop music) because I was in hip-hop crew in my college. Since that time, I have enjoyed expressing my feelings in writing. Sometimes, I recollect my memories as I read my lyrics. Writing is a good record of my life track. Sometimes, I read my essays, journals, diaries and my lyrics. The writings I have written bring back to me many memories of my past.
Yes, writing is really enjoyable to me.

No comments: