Apr 30, 2008

Manner by Trang Dao

I was in a class today when we have a guest speaker. We were talking among each other about the project we were supposed to be doing. The guest speaker was giving instruction and some comments on our work. I felt pretty pleasant about what I have written down and contributed to the group. So I was in a very good mood and also feeling very enthusiastic. It was time to present what we’d done. The guest speaker was listening to us and giving out comments what he thought of the work and what could have been better. When it was time for the group after us, there was this girl trying to proof herself and show off her knowledge. She was talking back to the guest speaker on how she has worked on this kind of thing everyday and she knows how it should be done. The guest speaker, I guess, was a bit startled at her attitude and he asked her not to text messaging and closes her phone. So being a stubborn girl she is, she shut the phone loudly as if we were all deaf and we would not know she just did that.
I feel a bit disturbed by how she acted. I probably do not know her personally; she could be a very sweet person. But I can not bring myself to agree with how she acted. If she knows a little too much than us, then don’t go to class or at least be nice and stay quiet! She was probably having a bad day and such, but that was across the line. There was no reason for her to vend her anger on us. The least thing you should do is show some respect to your classmates and more importantly your professor. And there was no reason whatsoever, to act like that with a person your dad’s age. I seriously wanted to give her a death glare and trip her over ---ok, no scratch that, am just kidding (lol) I need to control myself from that temptation. But it’s true I was really irritated. I really do not like people who don’t have manners, especially to some one who is older. It is probably because of how I was raised in my culture. But I think respecting others should the priority to wherever you go. I don’t know if she has taken education for granted, but as a student to some one who is teaching her, that is not the right way to act.
I know it’s kind of meaningless for me to write about this, but I just got angry and had to write it out.

No comments: