Dec 6, 2009

Cares from the other side of the world

Two years ago, that was the last night for me to stay with my family before I left for America. Father and I were sitting on the sofa, he looked at me for a while then said slightly “Are you ready to be responsible to yourself?”
I didn’t dare see him directly because I was afraid to face him, he was always very strict to me, but I still said “Yes”. Then I went to bed.
Next morning, on the way to airport, father didn’t say anything; he was silent as usual, and that made me nervous. Until we reached to the entrance of security, “Don’t forget to call home when you are free.” That was the last word my father said.
I nodded, and then I left. I didn’t turn my head to look at my father, because I was afraid. I didn’t want to see the expression on his face, because that would make me sad. Some girls, who went to the same school with me cried all the way until the plane set off. I known I could not cry, in my country there was a saying “Men only weep when deeply grieved”, so I buried that sorrow in the deep heart just in order to show that I was a real man who can solve every problem along, I thought I did not need my family’s cares.
Emotion is the most complex thing in the world, many people don’t know how to handle that, neither do I. Several days before leaving hometown, I was so excited about running away from my parents and that even made me hard to fall asleep. However, on the moment when the plane was boarding, a sudden sorrow came to me. Maybe that was some kind of homesickness, or missing of my family and friends, or even more than that.
After 14 hours flight, the plane arrived in Philadelphia. That was my first time to take the plane, and also was my first time to go abroad. The airport of Philadelphia looked like a labyrinth to me, I got lost. Fortunately, some kind airport staff led me to the right terminal. When I was thinking it is the time to release myself, and was ready to check in. Bad news came, the last fight to my school had left, and I had to wait for 10 hours for the next flight. It was so boring to just sit on the chair for 10 hours. I hesitated to call my father, because I think that would make me still sound like a child, but that call got through finally. That was 22 hours after I left my country, on the other side of phone, came a nervous voice, it was my mom who picked up the phone.
“Are you ok? How is everything?”My mother asked.
“Everything is fine, I just miss the plane, and I will arrive at school tomorrow.” I answered.
Then my mother and I talked for a while, I was told that father just fell asleep, after he had waited for my phone call for 14 hours, and he was exhausted. After hanging up, I feel very sorry to my father, and also that was my first time known how much I was cared. Even though the accident made me desperate, the caress from the other side of the world warmed my heart.
Time went by very quickly; it was the thanksgiving night of year 2007. I took the bus back from New York City to my school. I got off at bus station, it was already midnight no one were willing to pick me up at that time; even a phone call to taxi company couldn’t get through. The bus station is 4 miles away from school, the distance would not be so far for me if it is at the day time. However, it was snowing, and the temperature was just at negative 10 cent degrees, and the wind sharply swept my face, just like knives curving on me. I walked on the street towing my suitcases, the road seemed never endless to me. Every five minutes, I had to stop for a while to rub my hands make sure they were not frozen. 2 hours later, I arrived at the school, my hands and feet were so cold that they couldn’t hold the key steadily to open the door. At that moment, my cell phone was ringing, the number showed my father’s name. I picked up the phone, “Happy thanksgiving, my son.” Father said.
“You too” I answered shivering.
“I heard that the winter of New York was chilly, don’t forget to wear sweater, otherwise you might get cold,” My father continued.
I wanted to tell him what happened, but I didn’t. That would make my father too nervous to concentrate on his job. Therefore, I changed my voice, just as usual, “Everything is fine, I will take care of myself, don’t worry.” I said.
“Ok, don’t forget to call home when you are free.” Then he hanged up.
The warmth of cell phone made me feel better, I looked around, and only a few houses were lightened. My hands were more flexible to move, and then I inserted the key and opened the door. That night I slept sweetly with the warmth of love from the other side of world saved me, the warmth of love. I realized that I need those phone calls to get courage from home, just like my dad need the calls to know I was maturing.
Now, I am more adapted to the life here. I can solve many difficulties by myself, the life was not as hard as that of 2years ago. Now, Father’s calls still come twice a week, though it was just greeting, for me they are the cares from the other side world which bring me the love of family, and warm my heart. Sometimes we appear to be strong and Independent, but those hopes are something we would never leave.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Studying abroad makes you more mature, I think. Moreover, your family has encourage you a lots especially your father, he is the same with my mom. She calls many three times a year, gives me love from family. I hope you will study well and let your family be proud of you. good luck.
(Thanh Tran- Terry)

Leslie said...

With your experience you found a new hope. ^ ^ I learned a new style of hope by your story. (Young Ho)