May 2, 2009

Xinbei Xie (4th essay)

From a hating-writing person to a “writer”
Writer is a person who can use his pen to write an article that is popular in public. A writer can use his talent and inspiration to write a very wonderful essay. Of course, in my topic, the “writer” is just a exaggerated expression.
To be honest, I don’t think I could become a writer forever. A famous English writer Douglas Adams said “ Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank papar until a drop of blood form on your forehead.”(Wikipedia) While for me, writing is really difficult. However one factor is that I have to stare at a piece of blank paper when I begin on a new essay. I still remember when I was in high school, my teacher said I didn’t have any writing talent. At that time, the full composition score was sixty, but I could only get about 42, maybe sometimes I could 48. 48 was the highest score that I got in my high school. At that period, composition was the most vexatious thing for me. Eventhough in my college entrance examination, my composition score was not so satified.
After the college entrance examination, I came to the USA for my further study. As an interenational student, language become one of the difficult barriers. As a freshman, I have to take ENG1F and ENG2F courses. Both of these two courses are writing. At first, I was so afraid to write essays. When I wrote a essay, I always translated Chinese to English. The sentence was always in Chinese style.My grade was also not so good.
In this semester, I take the ENG2F. Actually, ENG2F’s assignments are really much more than ENG1F. When I heard I have to write ten pages research paper, I really want to drop this class. Finally, I decided to follow through. Professor gave us many references to read, and I had to post blog on class wiki. That pushed me to read all these references carefully, and posted some short passages on blog. Through these articles, my reading skill had a improvement and I preferred to read these articles gradually. Furthermore, checking the class wiki has become one of my habits in my daily life. As I wrote more essays, I found out I would not avoid writing. I also went to writing center. In writing center, I gained more skills about how to write an essay in English. I also acknowledged the difference between the Chinese and English in writing essay. The assistant gave me a lot of help with my essay. When I wrote the research paper, I found that it wasn’t so difficult I imagine. I checked many references and did some analysises. I learned how to write a research paper. I think it is a good begining for my professional paper in future. I feel very lucky that I didn’t drop this class in the beginning.
In this semester, my grade is much better than the last semester. I think my writing has a progress through this semester’s practice. I don’t avoid writing. I learn how to write a essay much more professional, and I will not translate Chinese into English.
Writing is a necessary part in our study. If we fear of writing, writing will only become more difficult. If we enjoy the process of writing, it will bring us many wonderful things.
Thanks for professor Bai’s teaching in this semester.




Work cited
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 2, May, 2009. <>

1 comment:

Leslie said...

haha, i hav to follow u! :)
u r a hard worker i ever meet.
satomi