May 3, 2009

Last Essay =)

Dila Yolga
Dr. Leslie Bai

Write for Future You


I never thought that my English was improving day by day, until; I start to study for my finals. I was studying for my PR class, and reading my notes from the beginning, to the end of the semester. When I read my notes I noticed my improvement and which was noteworthy. This was interesting to see my improvement even though I’ve never noticed my sentences structures, spelling and words that I use was looking so much better at the end of my notes. That automatically made me happy to see any improvement that I have been through but I know I still have a long way to go.
Because of my previous education that I got, I have never been good at formal writing. I never focused on writing in a proper way even in my own language that is weird because I know the rules in English but not in Turkish. Anyway, even though, I cannot write formal in Turkish, I love to write. One day, me and my friends were discussing about “What would you do if today would be your last day” and my answer was “I would write something to the people that I love” and this is how writing is valuable for me. I love expressing my feelings by writing generally to myself, I write future myself. I just read my writings when I forget what I wrote about, generally years later, but I would never read afterwards.
I like writing when I’m angry to someone, I write things that I’ve learned from life, I write random things, with out any reason. Even though I do not write often, I always write meaningful, funny, serious, sad, happy things to myself without any rules.
Writing is something that brings people back, something, makes time stops. Speaking can never be formal if people would not save it. People leave hard copies after their speeches for instance in Obama’s election speech, his speech was in newspapers and it saved for the future. In the history beginning of the civilization is starts with first writings, and paintings. We could have never figure out the future if there would be no writing materials in the world.
Writing is something that starts everything, and it might be the thing that would end everything. Sometimes, it hurts people and sometimes makes people so happy. It has been articles that influence people; I love writing because it is so influential, and effective. It remains forever, and it can never be change.
Anyways, even thought I like writing for myself, I do not like to write in a formal way, especially if I have to. One of the hardest things in wiring is when you have to write about something, that you do not like. Restrictions, sometimes we need restrictions but it should have limits. In English 2F class, there were right amount of restrictions, for instance, topic was “Love” and we have to choose something inside of the pool. It is always easier to write if you find a topic which you can connect yourself, and find examples about your life. That is why, our first and second essays were so much fun to write but I really struggled with research paper.
Writing is not one of the best, and successful skill that I have but it is always fun to write anything about my life. There are so many people, who do not like writing in any way but I am not one of them. It is o.k. to write for a person that I love, but it is hard to write someone that I do not know. I think sometimes writing is so much easier than speaking, that is why people always text someone on the phone instead of calling them. People who just start to date; they use internet communication or texting first instead of talking. So sometimes writing is an alternative and easier way of communication.
Overall, writing has many different options that you can use, it will remain forever, and when you write something it is generally so hard to change, like history you cannot change the history and you cannot change the things that have written before too. Writing can hurt someone really badly or it can make people so glad, because words are so powerful, and effective. Me, I like to write for myself and especially for future myself because, you can always come back to the feelings that you felt when you wrote those things. It is kind of time travelling, when you read the things that you wrote, it brings you back and help you to remember those days. So writing is necessary, and meaningful try to write something just for yourself and hide it somewhere that you can not find and someday, the day that you least expect to see that writing read that, than you will feel something that you would never felt.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

i know ur feeling. i read Obama's election speech on the news paper, and it was impressed me. satomi