May 4, 2009

Read, Write and Be Confidence by Yoona Hahm

Yoona Hahm
Professor Leslei Bai
Eng 2F

Read, Write and Be Confidence
Everyone has their abilities and talents individually. One has a good head for mathematics while the other struts the verbal talent. For me, I am good at math but poor at liberal arts. Frankly speaking, I like math and chemistry because there is a way to solve the problem. After following the way, I finally end up reaching the answer which is the one. It seems concise and clear even though the way is hard and long. However, I do not like liberal arts such as history, philosophy, linguistics, and especially writing. From when I was young, I do not like writing so much. In other words, I am a poor writer. Someone said writing is easy and you just say what you are thinking freely. I did. However, after I finish my essay and then read it, it is not easy to read and it is boring to read. I did not figure out what my problem is and how I can solve it. Even I did not try to figure it out. Through the class, there are two important ways of writing: read and write a lot and be confidence.

Read and write a lot. Many people love reading. I can see many people read books in the subway or in the bus. Also, whenever they are on their own time, they grab the book or newspaper and read. Even though I know that reading make readers extend their knowledge and books show the widen world, I do not enjoy reading. There is no reason. Because of this, my writing is limited of vocabularies, sentences, and even structure. I can feel the difference between the essay after I read a lot and the essay without any reading. After reading a lot, my essay has stronger structure and full of words than without reading. Furthermore, reading in English, which is not mother language, helps me a lot. It makes me meet new words and how to use phrases and idioms. Reading is good for readers to enrich the ideas and expressions. Also, writing again and again is helpful for writing. It is kind of practice for next writing. From last two semesters I spent here, I had to write almost every week. At that time, I could not bear this. However, after I spent almost two semesters, my writing has been improving. Writing the essay, revising it, and rewriting again help me. From this process, I know what my problem is exactly and how to fix it. So, when write an essay next time, I can try to make the same mistake which I have done already. In so doing, my writing could improve. Therefore, reading and writing a lot is one good way to improve my writing skills.

Be full of confidence. I used to lose confidence of my writing. It makes me cower before writing and I do not like writing. Finally, my awful writing comes out. It causes a vicious circle. However, after I read and write over and over, my writing has improved by piecemeal and I get self-confidence as well. So, I begin to like writing little by little. A vicious cycle turns to a positive cycle. Then, I can enjoy writing now. No matter how much I have plentiful knowledge and large vocabulary, my writing must be weak without confidence. The confidence makes not only me strong and but also my writing skill strong. Just be full of self-confidence and keep going my way.

I will keep following my rules and then my writing skill will improve. Also, in so doing, I enjoy writing more and more. I am sure someday I would be a good writer and I really hope so.

No comments: