Apr 27, 2009

writing experiences by Amy Fu

My writing experiences
Writing is a way of expression. We could express our thoughts, ideas, feelings and emotions through writing. I would like to write down my feelings and emotions on my personal blog because it is a way of releasing my stress and recording my thoughts. I enjoy writing on my blog and diary because writing is a process of sharing and releasing for me at that time. However, the writing assignments in English class are suffering because most of topics are boring and meaningless to me. The other reason makes English writing suffering for me is that we should write it in English which is not my first language. I have to pay attention on my grammar, sentence organization, vocabulary and spelling while I am writing. I even could not find a word or vocabulary to express my idea correctly and accurately sometimes. Compared to writing in my fist language, the process of writing in English takes more time, attention and consideration. I always believe that I could write much better on some topics if I could write it in Chinese which is my first language. Because of paying lots of attentions on grammar, spelling and sentence structure, I always lost my ideas when I am writing in English.
Even though I don’t like writing assignments in English class, I tried my best on most of them. It is not only because of course requirements, but also I did improve a lot through writing class. Before I take English 1F and 2F courses, I always wrote the long and complicated sentences which most of them were hard to understand. I still remember my first grade in English 1F class was C. From professor’s comments, I realized that I had a lot of perspectives to be improved in my writing. After that, I went to writing center several times and asked writing assistant to help me on correcting my essays. After the first semester’s writing class, writing in English is not as hard as before. My grades were also an evidence of my improvements in English writing.
English 2F is totally different from the writing assignments in English1F because most of the topics are concentrating on certain issues which are more academic and formal. Honestly, I really don’t like the topic of discrimination because I am not interested in doing research on discrimination and writing about it. However, I learnt a lot from English 2F class which most of knowledge was not mentioned in English 1F class. The most important is how to write a research paper which is useful in our college study and career. I learnt how to distinguish the reliable information in our research paper and how to cite our quotations in our paper which are really helpful in my academic writing. Moreover, I became more effective and efficient on writing in English after two semesters English writing classes.
I am also taking another WAC class this semester which is my major class Federal Taxation Law. Actually, writing assignments in this class is much easier for me than English 2F because I am more interested in Taxation Law’s assignments and familiar with most of topics. So my average writing grade in this class is 9.8 out of 10 which proves that my writing is closely related with my preference. I think most of people have the same problem as me. Most of us could do much better at writing about topics that we are familiar and interested in. Contrast to writing about discrimination, I would rather to dealing with the tax problem and write an analysis or research paper on it.
However, basic research knowledge and writing skills I learnt were from the writing assignments that I wasn’t interested in. So I think it is important for us to try to do research and write about the things that we are not familiar with and not interest in because we could improve and learn more English writing skills through writing an unknown topic. In the rest of my college life and career, I think there are still a lot of writing assignments. Whatever I will write about, the writing skills that we learnt in English classes are the most basic and necessary. Moreover, I am trying to write my blog and diary in English because it is a great way for me to improve my English writing.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

yea, honestly, the topic of discrimination was also hard for me,, but u wrote a great essay! i know that;) satomi