Apr 24, 2009

Last Essay; what is writing JunHyung Park

Writing Raise Me Up
JunHyung Park
Eng 2F
4th essay
When I first came to America, I had to take English 1F course. At that time, I spent many times writing five page essays, which was very annoying to me. However, this situation was not only for me, but also most international students thought like me. However, I could not avoid writing essays as long as I am a student. Therefore, if it is imperative to write essays, I will decide to enjoy writing essay rather than hate it. Even if my first grade did not fulfill my expectation, the low grade will provoke me slowly to do writing eagerly. When I read books, newspapers, and journals, sometimes if I find nice expressions in these reading materials, I underline, or keep memorizing expressions to use for my essay.
I have always been trying to do my best for my writing for a high grade. However, since I felt my writing skill improved little by little, I suddenly wanted to write to make me a good writer, not just to get only high score in my courses. Maybe I am avaricious to be a good writer like a famous American writer. Sometimes I cannot hold my tongue, when I am reading a book. If I find a beautiful composition, I usually say to myself, “how could he make this beautiful writing?” Even though my writing skill is not enough to touch someone to the heart, I believe that if I practice steadily, someday, my dream might come true.
I have seen most international students afraid of taking composition class. The reason is they have to write many pages to pass the writing class. However, for international students, they have big obstacles to overcome. For example, Korean and Japanese people are used to making sentences like ‘the subject + object + verb”, contrastingly, in America, people make sentences using ‘the subject + verb + object”, which is a totally different style to write in. That is, like this reason, many Asians think of how they will say, or write before they really say, or write. In my opinion, like the reason of the problems for international students, writing is more necessary to the internationals. It is obvious that the more the students are difficult to do something, the more the students need practice to be better in the area, which they feel is difficult.
We are almost done with English 2F class, and cannot wait for the end of the semester. I think back to the past days what I have learned, and how much my writing has improved in English 2F class. When I undertook to write a research paper, I actually had no idea how I write a research paper, and really obscured how I designed the outline, and even chose the topic of the research paper. However, like my professor said, I will have confidence to write after I finish the research paper. At first, even five page essays were really hard for me, but now, five pages writing became piece of cake. Writing is how much you are interested in, and how much time you spend writing. That is, writing is definitely improved as much as you do your best. Suddenly, I look back when I first came here. I was ESL student at that time. Most ESL students feel embarrassed to write 2 through 3 pages, and I also felt like them. However, now, I turned into a much better writer than before, and it is unbelievable. I am really curious about how much my writing skills will be improved after one year from now. I am still writing, and I will practice more to be a better writer from now.

No comments: