Apr 27, 2009

in my process of writing (Satomi Minegishi)

Student: Satomi Minegishi
Professor: Leslie Bai
English 2F (Essay#4)
April/27/2009

Writing is defined as one of the communication tools, which informs people’s ideas and opinions. Also, the skills are thought of as a useful way for people to grow and make logical ideas. Without writing opportunities, people could not make other people know their ideas through logical process. This lack of skill causes problems because people cannot take contexts in correct way. That is why most high schools and universities have academic writing classes for their students. By making sure what students write, they can build up and brush up their writing abilities and can improve what they want to say. In this sense, people learn how to write papers and essays while they are students. But their writing purposes are different from each other; getting writing abilities, receiving high grades or passing their classes in school, preparing for their future before going to companies.
In my case, I usually attempt to write good essays and try to get high grades in academic writing classes. In the process of writing, I certainly know that I have a lack of logical thinking. Although I overcame some difficulties little by little in the department of writing, I still feel how poor my English skills are. At first, after coming to this university, Long Island University C.W.Post, and taking the English 1-F class, I could not express and explain what I wanted to say on my essays because of my lack of English abilities. Then, I spent so much time on that class. Even though I wrote a lot of essays when I was in a Japanese university, I could not write them smoothly in English. That is because I had no stock sentences in English as American people had. What I felt hard to express were my feelings in English due to my lack of experiences in this language. I cannot write essays fluently in English like I can in Japanese that is because English is not my first language and I am not familiar with English literature. It means I did not endeavor to study hard in this department. After figuring out this fact, I started to read English books and articles gradually. As a result, my writing skills are developing slowly but surely.
To be honest, I do not like to study hard, but my attitude for writing essays has changed recently. The change is when I try to overcome the difficulties, I find solutions, even though I need somebody’s help. These works take long time and use a lot of energy of mine. However, after finishing off paper work, I have a sense of achievement. The reason is because the writing skills are connected to my future plan, becoming a subtitle translator. The subtitle translating department is not well known by people. But the work is essential nowadays. People could choose subtitles such as English, Chinese or Japanese while watching a movie, if the story uses another language that they do not know. By reading those subtitles, people can be allowed to wallow in nostalgia and feel good moments from the story. I want to get this kind of job and give an opportunity to people to be impressed by the story. For getting the work, I need to improve my English abilities and to become a professional writer. That is the reason that I continue to write essays.
However, acquiring writing skills does not depend on people. Generally, people are needed to acquire writing skills by their society because these skills are essential for their lives. If a person wants to get a job in publishing company, the person has to study hard to be a good writer. It is obvious that people cannot escape paper work as a tool of communication.
In this sense, university students learn how to write academic writing as one of the requirements. That is because their society expects that people will be able to write essays through correct ways. Writing abilities promote people’s conversations and their work.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I always like Satomi's essay. Your essay is really professional!!

Xinbei

Leslie said...

Yes you are really a good writer :).. (dila)

Leslie said...

thanx for commenting to me!
im grad to hear it from u guys,truly ~x)
(satomi)