Apr 28, 2009

about writing (Chen Jin)

What is write? This is a interest question. Honestly I am not sure, and I think this is the hardest essay I have never write. It takes me almost 1 hour to start. When I begin it, I remember the first essay I wrote in English. This 1 page essay takes me 3 hours to finish it. During that time, I was really hate about writing, I though I will never write a essay more than 2 pages, and I was really shy to share my essay to someone else. Whereas, when I came to the university everything was begin to change. I start to wrote 4 pages, 6 pages, or 9 pages, I think writing is not hard for me anymore. Nowadays I can write a 5 pages proposal in 3 hours, and I am not shy to compare my essay to the American students anymore. I realize the reason I am writing now is to prepare for my future class, for example, I know how to write a research paper. I think writing is a tool to help me study.

Other reason for me to keep write is I find out that my English writing style is begin to change. When I saw the essay I wrote last year, there are a lot of grammar problem and unmeaningful sentences. Those problem makes my essay are difficult to read. Whereas I start to think my essay in the different way now. I am begin to think the thesis and details of my essay, and to think how to make my essay easier to understand.

I know I still have a lot of things to work on, my grammar is still poor , and I feel nothing to say in the essay often like this one, but at least I know what the problem is, when I write a English essay, I usually think Chinese too much, at the beginning I though that was not a big deal, but now I realize this is not good for my English writing. I think I will look carefully in the future, and to reread my essay after write, to make sure everything looks good. I will try to write an essay just like an American student. I want to think as an American, writing as an American, and talking as an American.

Those are my experience and feeling about writing. At the end of the essay I must say that I am really should thank for this course, some people say this course is useless, and waste time, but for me this course is very useful, some of my friends knows that how bad writer I use to be. I do not even know what writing is before I taking this course, When I was read perterit essay I still cannot believe that I can write a essay like that. In my next semester, I do not have any English class, but I will keep working on my writing skill, and I believe things I have learned in this course can help me a lot in the future.