Mar 1, 2009

Changing clothes but not husband ( Laura)

The custom of early marriage and arranged marriage explained in this article moved me a lot because a part of my Family is concerned. In fact, I have a part of my family living in East France who are Jewish and very religious. I had no contact with them during a long time and I recently re keep in touch with them, being aware that I have some of my cousins I do not even know.
I was surprise to see some of my cousins married at the earl age of 18 years old and already pregnant. In my opinion, these kinds of customs can not match with the world where we live nowadays. I did not really understood why theu choose this sort of life so I began serious conversation with them.
Of course, being married at such an early age is difficult and I do not even imagine to have a life like that because I think each period of time has priorities. For the moment, mine are my studies, and Iwant take care of myself and my future, before thinking to have children. But in fact, I realized talking to my cousin that it was not her choice. Dhe did not even think about that. These are customs, values, that are recognized as the best way to live their life, and they are used to see that around them. They mightbe aware of the drawbeck of thoses values, but following their religion, they will tr to take the little advantage of the life they choose.
She told me that she understand eprfectly my opnion about arranged marriage, but she also explains me that with time, she found it convenient and that she is perfectly happy with her hsband;
To conclude, I would say that everyone has the freedom to choose the way to live their life. One prefers to take as priorities their customs coming from religion. Others prefer to compromise religion and social life. But etiher way, this is everyone's choice. If one is not happy with it, he can only be angry against him.
I am a traditionalist jewish eprson and there are lots of special days I decided not to do. I know what are the consequences of it, but I assume and this is my opinion;
Customs and values shapes a lot the personnality, however, it is very important to be in agreement with his mind and not do it by force. After that, whatever is your religion, custom, values, you can be happy, if this is your choice.

No comments: